About the programme
Master in International Migration and Social Cohesion
The Erasmus Mundus Joint European Master in International Migration and Social Cohesion is offered by the UvA's Graduate School of Social Sciences, in collaboration with the University of Deusto in Bilbao (Spain), University College Dublin (Ireland) , the University of Latvia in Riga, (Latvia) and the University of Osnabruck (Germany).
Students will study in three European countries. In the first year the students attend University of Amsterdam and University of Deusto. Both universities offer consolidated expertise in theoretical and methodological approaches to migration studies.
The second year is used for specialisation at one of the other European institutes. The University College Dublin, University of Latvia or University of Osnabrück will provide students with focused teaching and research in their specialised areas under the supervision of leading experts.
Students are expected to obtain 30 ECTS credits in each of the four semesters
of the degree, totaling 120 ECTS credits.
• Semesters one, two and three consist of taught modules.
• Semester one is based at the University of Amsterdam
• Semester two is based at the University of Deusto
• Semester three is based at the University College Dublin, University of Latvia or University of Osnabrück depending on the student's specialization.
• Semester four is also based at the university where the student specializes and concerns the writing of the Master thesis under the supervision of three academic staff members involved in the programme. The subject of the thesis must be mutually agreed upon by the student and the academic adviser(s).
The thesis must be submitted before the end of the fourth semester.